This salad was designed for January – a healthy, tasty way to make up for weeks of indulging in mince pies. If, like me, you are on a bit of a health kick because the guilt has just got too much, then why not give it a try?
If you don’t fancy it as a main (it is a firm vegetarian favourite) then it makes a great little side dish with a lean beef or tuna steak. What’s more, if you have leftovers, you can store it in a sealed container in the fridge overnight and have it as a cheeky lunchtime snack at work the next day. Just watch your colleagues envious faces 😉
Ingredients for your salad:
2 large heads of broccoli
2 tbsps chopped red onion
3 cloves minced garlic
63g grated cheddar cheese
170g ounces uncooked pasta (whatever kind you like)
120g plain greek yogurt
2 tbsps mayo
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp poppy seeds
1 tbsp sesame seeds
pinch of salt and pepper
1. Chop up the broccoli into bite-size pieces. In a bowl combine the broccoli, onion and garlic.
2. Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package.
3. Drain and immediately add the hot pasta to the broccoli bowl. (The hot pasta will slightly soften the broccoli.)
4. Combine the yogurt, mayo, vinegar, oil and seeds. Taste and add salt and pepper to your liking.
5. Stir the dressing and cheese into the broccoli and pasta bowl.
What is your favourite type of salad? Are you dreaming of summer evenings already?