With the sunshine well and truly here like this weekend just gone, it was the perfect time to bake something a little fruity for picnics in the park with friends and a cheeky cider.
Cue a delicious peach pie recipe that won’t make you feel too guilty after each bite… *cough*
Ingredients for your Perfect Peach Pie:
1. Remove the dough from your fridge (let it stand at room temperature until you can shape it). Roll your dough to a 15 by 11-inch rectangle about 1/8 inch thick; then transfer the dough rectangle to a baking sheet lined with grease-proof paper. With fluted pastry cutter, trim the long sides of the rectangle to make them straight and cut the rectangle lengthwise into eight even strips. Freeze them on the baking sheet until firm, this takes about 30 minutes.
2. Roll a smaller piece of dough on a lightly floured work surface to a 12-inch circle. Transfer this circular dough to a 9-inch pie dish by rolling the dough around a rolling pin and laying it over the pan. Ease the dough into the pan corners by gently lifting the edge of the dough with one hand while with the other, pressing the dough into the pan bottom. Leave the dough if it overhangs and refrigerate the dough-lined pie plate.
3. Remove the dough strips from the freezer. Let them stand at room temperature until softened slightly but still cold. Form the lattice top crust on a grease-proof lined baking sheet, then place in the freezer until firm, this should take about 15 minutes.
4. Peel the peaches by blanching them. Cut a small “X” in the bottom of each one and dunk them in boiling water for about 40 seconds then remove them and place in ice water. The skins should peel right off. Halve and pit each peach, then cut into slices.
5. Toss the peach slices, lemon juice, granulated sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and tapioca into a bowl.
6. Once mixed with your hands, pour the peach mixture into the dough-lined pie plate. Remove the lattice from the freezer and place on top of the filled pie. Trim the lattice strips and crimp the pie edges where they overhang. Lightly brush the lattice top with water and sprinkle with sugar.
7. Lower the oven temperature to 200 degrees centigrade or gas mark 6. Place the pie in the oven and bake until the crust begins to brown, this should be between 25 to 30 minutes. Rotate the pie and reduce the oven temperature to 190 degrees centigrade and gas mark 5, then continue baking until the crust is a deep golden brown and the juices bubble, only about 25 to 30 minutes longer. Cool the pie on a wire rack for at least 2 hours before serving.
Have you ever made a peach pie before? Do you like fruit in your pies or are you more of a savoury foodie?